How to get a 457 Visa for foreign employees

Apr 7, 2013
Reading Time: < 1 minute
Written by Dominic Woolrych

There is a lot of politics going on at present about 457 visas and the employment of foreign workers in Australia. Currently the process works quickly and efficiently. Employers seeking to recruit foreign workers should consider embarking on the 457 process before changes (if any) are made.

The visa is for foreign workers who have a skill which is in demand in Australia. The list of those skills is at

There are 3 parts to the application (and these can be lodged at the same time):

  • Employer applies to be a sponsor;
  • Employer nominates a position;
  • Employee applies for a visa.

The timing from application to grant can vary but 1-2 months is a good guide. There are some costs involved. The visa lasts for 4 years and allows the employee to bring their family to Australia.

If you would like more information, please go to LawPath where you can speak to an experienced immigration lawyer (or any other type of lawyer) for 30 minutes for $29.

The Helpful Lawyer

Don’t know where to start? Contact us on 1800 529 728 to learn more about customising legal documents and obtaining a fixed-fee quote from Australia’s largest lawyer marketplace.

Popular Guides

Get the latest news

By clicking ‘Sign up to newsletter’ you are agreeing to the Lawpath Terms and Conditions

You may also like


Create and access documents anytime, anywhere

Sign up for one of our legal plans to get started.