Drugs and Alcohol Policy
This Drugs and Alcohol Policy communicates to employees and other workers that being under the influence of drugs, alcohol or other prohibited substances will not be tolerated at the workplace. This policy also outlines your expectations regarding smoking, prescription medication and alcohol use during permitted Company events or other social occasions. It also outlines the process for Drug and Alcohol testing where applicable as well as any assistance the Company can provide to employees who are struggling with substance abuse issues.Get 1st document free
You can use this Drugs and Alcohol Policy to ensure that your workers are aware that your Company does not allow the use of drugs, alcohol or other prohibited substances other than at approved Company or social events. Using this policy can also protect your Company and provide a safer workplace by ensuring that all parties are aware of their obligations around the use of any substances, including disclosure obligations around prescribed medication if it affects the worker’s ability to perform their job safely or effectively.
Use this Policy if:
- You need to clarify Company expectations around the use of alcohol, illegal drugs, other prohibited substances;
- You want to implement clear guidelines on smoking, as well as the use of prescription medication where this impacts on a worker’s ability to perform their role safely or effectively;
- You want workers to know that the Company will try to assist them if they recognise that they are struggling with substance abuse issues and that there is a process for such matters;
- You need to communicate to workers that they may be subject to drug and/or alcohol testing, including where there is a reasonable suspicion that they are under the influence, or if they work on client sites that have random drug and/or alcohol testing; and
- You want to have clear expectations in place to help protect the Company in the event of a related disciplinary issue.
What does this Policy cover?
- Communicating to workers that the Company does not tolerate working under the influence of alcohol, non-prescription drugs or prohibited substances;
- Providing clear guidelines on alcohol consumption during approved Company or social events;
- Ensuring workers are aware of disclosure obligations where any prescribed medication may impact their ability to perform their role safely and/or effectively;
- The right to require alcohol and/or drug testing of employees, including such testing at a client site if they work on client sites;
- Establishing clear guidelines regarding smoking on Company premises, or Company vehicles where applicable; and
- Advising workers of any assistance offered by the Company regarding substance abuse issues.
- Can Employers require employees to undergo drug testing?
- 5 things you need to know about the Workplace Surveillance Act
- A guide to managing employee 'no shows'
Not sure what you need? Call and speak to one of our consultants on1800 529 728
How it works
Follow the steps below and you’ll have your ready-to-use document in no time.
Set up a free Lawpath account
Search and find the document you need from our list
Follow the prompts and fill in all the relevant details
Download your document in ready-to-use PDF or Docx* format. Access from any device, at anytime.